Ask Your Elected Officials to Cosponsor the 2009 Trade Act

The Citizen’s Trade Campaign is asking for help to change the future of trade policy:


Last year over 80 members of the U.S. House and Senate cosponsored landmark legislation setting forth a progressive vision for future trade agreements. The Trade Reform, Accountability, Development and Employment (TRADE) Act ( frames a bold new debate, marking out policy space needed for a more balanced way to expand trade.


We now need you to urge your congressional members to cosponsor the 2009 TRADE act.


We expect this snowballing reform initiative to be reintroduced soon. Can you please e-mail, call or fax your members of congress today, and ask them to sign on as cosponsors? (A sample message and form for sending an e-mail is located at


First introduced by Sen. Sherrod Brown and Rep. Mike Michaud, “The TRADE Act” enjoyed support from hundreds of faith, farm, labor and environmental groups last year. By February of 2009, over 350 organizations sent a joint letter to congress backing the 2009 TRADE Act, saying it “offers a helpful roadmap for new policies that could rebuild a consensus in favor of expanded trade.”


But to bring about this real change, we need you to contact your elected officials, and ask them to support trade reform we can all believe in. Be sure to leave your home address and to ask for a written response. Here are three ways to do so:


Contact members of Congress using our form available at  Personalize a message to all of your members in the House and Senate.


Contact your members of Congress by phone. Call (202) 224-3121 and tell the Capitol switchboard operator to connect you to your member’s office. Ask confidently to speak to the “Trade L.A.,” and ask that the member cosponsor the TRADE Act. Be sure to leave your address. Alternatively, you can call the offices directly—to find contact information, go to (House) and (Senate).


Contact your member by mail. If you want to go “old school,” you can go to the sites in the previous paragraph to obtain addresses to send paper snail mail. It is best to send snail mail to a district office so it can be forwarded to the Washington office and avoid holdups because of security issues.


To learn more about the TRADE Act, go to


This entry was posted in Take Action, Trade and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *